The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses at Michigan State University seek to help international students improve their English language abilities through credit-bearing language courses taught by English Language Center faculty.
EAP students are:
- advanced students who have not met MSU’s minimum proficiency requirement in English.
- advanced students who are not seeking a degree at MSU, but who want to improve their academic English skills.
- help prepare international students for the demands of university-level work in English.
- offer skills-based instruction at an advanced level
- AAE 220 – English Grammar and Composition for Non-Native Speakers of English (6 credits)
- AAE 221 – English Composition for Non-Native Speakers of English (3 credits)
- AAE 222 – Listening and Speaking for Academic Purposes for Non-Native Speakers of English (3 credits)
- AAE 223 – Reading for Academic Purposes for Non-Native Speakers of English (3 credits)
- are assigned based on the student’s results on the MSU English Language Test.
- allow qualified students to take academic coursework while enrolled in this program.
For a detailed description of each EAP course, please see the EAP Curriculum document.